ArtsTech is a project initiated by Dr Stephanie Pride at StratEDGY Strategic Foresight.
Sometimes a possible future is so compelling that you can’t just leave it to chance! That’s how we felt at StratEDGY when, having explored the future of orchestras with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, we realised that there is a huge opportunity for New Zealand sitting there for the taking. We spend most of our time helping clients to find their own way forward in a fast-paced, disruptive environment, but this time, the opportunity was so significant and exciting that we couldn't walk away knowing that no single organisation could make ArtsTech happen on its own.
What if New Zealand stepped up to lead the world in ArtsTech?
The application of science and technology to opera, ballet, orchestra and kapa haka could transform each art form, create accessible and visible applications of our world-leading science and technology, reach new audiences and generate new revenue streams for New Zealand as well as reducing injury, extending performing careers and generating efficiencies.
What if the whole world was looking to see what New Zealand would do next in the performing arts?
What if ArtsTech showcased our science and technology innovation globally?
What if we were selling our ArtsTech products back to the world?
StratEDGY is acting as a catalyst to bring together people and institutions who are interested in turning ArtsTech from a good idea into a vibrant reality. We're doing several things to get the ball rolling:
- articulating and socialising the concept
- providing a focal point for all the different parties interested in ArtsTech to come together, so we can start the conversation about how best to create an ArtsTech Sector
- commissioning a report from the New Zealand Institute of Economic Research on the economic dimensions of ArtsTech
- last year we organised an ArtsTech Speed Dating event (in New Zealand Tech Week 2017) to create an opportunity for New Zealand’s performing arts, science and tech sectors to start the conversation and explore the potential for New Zealand ArtsTech. (See which organisations provided sponsorship or in-kind support for the ArtsTech Speed Dating event. )
- this year we've collaborated with Creative Realities, Digl, and the NZSO to demonstrate some examples of ArtsTech in TechWeek 2018